We are delighted that you have chosen for your child to join us at St Columbkille’s Primary and we cannot wait to welcome them into our school family in August this year.
This will mark the start of their journey through Primary School where they will be celebrated, nurtured and supported in developing all of their key academic, social and emotional life skills.
You are, and will continue to be, the first educator of your child and we look forward to working in partnership with you throughout your child’s school career. By working together we can ensure your child will by happy, healthy and successful in reaching their full potential.
Transition to St Columbkilles
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation, our planned transition programme has had to be cancelled in-line with Government guidance. Whilst this is unfortunate, we have made a range of resources available below that will help prepare your child for this exciting next step.
Please be assured that:
- Mr Wedlock, our Principal Teacher, has personally contacted and visited your child’s Nursery to discuss your child and how best we can support him/her when they join our school.
- The school will receive transition reports about your child from their Nursery.
- The school has met our Senior Manager of Pupil Support, Frances Swinburne, Support Services Co-ordinator, Chris McDonald, and individual nurseries to discuss how best to support children who require additional support.
- The P1 Transition Tab on our website will be kept updated, giving you essential information about the school. I would encourage you to use this as your main point of information.
- A google questionnaire will be created specifically about transition into Primary School to ensure we are responding to any concerns or worries.
- We will continue to email you to ensure you are kept up to date with all school news.
Each year, one of the most important aspects of a child’s transition to Primary School is for them to become familiar with their new surroundings. We recognise that being unfamiliar with and unable to visualise the school building can be unsettling for some.
To help build this familiarity we have created the following video, giving your child a virtual tour of their new school and life at St. Columbkille’s.
Please click here to access the school tour video.
School Transition Booklet
To accompany our school tour video, we have also created a transition booklet that lets your child see some additional areas of the school and become familiar with some of the staff members they will see on a regular basis.
To help prepare your child for life at St. Columbkille’s, each year we provide a Boaster Poster, with a list of activities that each child should become confident in performing before starting school. This will ensure a growing independence and positive approach to tasks that they will be required perform on a regular basis.
Key information for Parents
We have tried to provide as much information as possibly on any questions you may have regrading your child starting school. This can be found in our Parent Transition booklet here.
Should any dates or arrangements change due to the current COVID-19 situation, we will inform you as soon as information becomes available.
Free School Meals/School Clothing Grant
Support is available from South Lanarkshire Council for families who qualify for Free School Meals and/or a School Clothing Grant. Information of criteria and how to apply can be found by clicking here.
Naturally, as a parent, you may have some questions regarding your child starting school. You can submit any questions you have regarding the transition into Primary School by clicking here.
We will collate all of the questions and answers onto one email and send to all parents to ensure we are responding to any concerns or worries you may have. We will also post a copy of the questions and answers onto this page.
Keep up to date
We post lots of information regarding school news and events across a number of media platforms. Keep up to date with everything going on at St. Columbkille’s by following our website, Twitter account (@stcolumbkilles) and by signing up for My School App.
Together We SHINE!